Frequently Asked Questions
You might have a burning question about thebar.com. Here’s your chance to have it answered. Whether it’s how you save a great recipe, or the way to get an optimum website experience, we’ve put an answer to your enquiries. And if you still have any other questions, please do head to our contacts page.
- Who is Diageo?
- Why do you need my personal information?
- Do I have to get your email(s) if I register at thebar.com?
- How do I change my email (login ID) and/or password?
- Why can't I see the videos?
- How do I get the Flash plugin?
- What can I do if I'm having a technical problem with the site?
- What are the system requirements in order to have the optimal website experience?
- What if I forget my login ID and/or password?
- Will thebar.com share my personal information?
- How do I get a username and password so I can log in?
- Can I use Facebook to join and login to mybar?
- I am currently registering for the thebar.com using Facebook. Why is it still asking me for a password?
- What is a spirit?
- How do I save a recipe?
- How do I remove a recipe from my mybar profile?
- What is ‘Shopping List’ and how does it work?
- What is the ‘Quantity Adjustor’ and how does it work?
1. Who is Diageo?
Diageo is the world's leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, wines and beer categories. Diageo is a global company, trading in more than 200 markets around the world. The company is listed on both the New York Stock Exchange (DEO) and the London Stock Exchange (DGE). For more information about Diageo, its people, brands and performance, please visit www.diageo.com.
2. Why do you need my personal information?
We ask questions pertaining to your personal information in order to verify that you are of legal drinking age. We cannot allow consumers to become members or access thebar.com unless they are of legal drinking age.
3. Do I have to get your email(s) if I register at thebar.com?
No. You can choose whether to receive emails from thebar.com and Diageo at registration and change your email preferences anytime by editing your profile in the ‘My Details’ tab featured in your mybar.
4. How do I change my email (login ID) and/or password?
You can change your personal information anytime by editing your mybar profile.
5. Why can't I see the videos?
All videos are hosted on YouTube.com and leverage the YouTube video player. If you are unable to view videos please visit the following URL for support support.google.com/youtube/topic/3014746?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=3014327
6. How do I get the Flash plugin?
You can download Flash free from www.adobe.com
7. What can I do if I'm having a technical problem with the site?
Contact us at thebarglobal at consumer-care.net. Be sure to include the following information so we can look into the problem:
- Browser – Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.
- Operating system (Mac, PC, etc.)
- Connection type – dial-up, cable, DSL, T1, etc.
- ISP/Internet provider
- Problem details – error message, etc.
8. What are the system requirements in order to have the optimal website experience?
- 1024 x 768 resolution or higher
- PC with broadband Internet connection
- 1 Ghz or faster processor
- 512 MB or greater RAM
This site has been optimised to be viewed in the following browsers: Internet Explorer version 9+, Firefox version 18+, Safari version 6+ or Chrome version 24+.
9. What if I forget my login ID and/or password?
Your login ID is the email address you used to register. If you forget your password, click the ‘Forgot Password’ link on any login screen.
10. Will thebar.com share my personal information?
11. How do I get a username and password so I can log in?
It's simple: all you need to do is create a mybar profile. Your username will be your own email address, and you can choose your own password. If you've forgotten your password, click the ‘Forgot Password’ link on any mybar login screen.
12. Can I use Facebook to join and login to mybar?
You can use Facebook to join mybar on thebar.com – this allows you to use your Facebook login to access your mybar. If you have already joined thebar.com you can connect your Facebook account to your mybar account in the My Profile section of your mybar. Once you have either joined using Facebook or have connected your mybar account to Facebook, you will be able to then login using your Facebook credentials through any of the login sections.
13. I am currently registering for thebar.com using Facebook. Why is it still asking me for a password?
For your security we always ask you for a password when you join thebar.com even if you are joining using Facebook. This is to enable you to still access your mybar if you decide to disconnect your Facebook account at any point.
14. What is a spirit?
Spirits are distilled liquors, such as rum, gin, vodka or whisky. At thebar.com, we also occasionally use ‘spirit’ to refer to all alcoholic beverages or alcoholic beverages in general.
15. How do I save a recipe?
To save any of these items, you must first have a mybar profile. If you already have a mybar profile and are logged in, just click the favourited image at any point across the site and click ‘Add To My Bar’.
16. How do I remove a recipe from the mybar profile?
You can visit your ‘mybar’ to remove any favourited items at any time or if you are logged in you can click the favourited image at any point across the site and click ‘Remove From My Bar’.
17. What is ‘Shopping List’ and how does it work?
Planning a party or any occasion? Add drink recipes to your shopping list for a complete list of ingredients you can then take to the shops – click on ‘Add To Shopping List’ on any of the recipe pages to add items to your list. You can then find your shopping list in your mybar area.
18. What is the ‘Quantity Adjustor’ and how does it work?
You'll find a quantity adjustor wherever you find a recipe. Select the number of servings you want to make, and the recipe will tell you how much of each ingredient you'll need.
Mission and House Rules
This site is a community for The Bar and we love to hear what you think. We have some House Rules (or terms & conditions), the full details of which are noted below, that you are deemed to have accepted by commenting on, or becoming a member of, this site. We have these rules so that we can make the community as great as possible, and because we take the responsible marketing of alcohol seriously. We hope you understand, but if you do not agree to be bound by these house rules, please do not continue to access, use, or contribute to this site.
Some specific rules for contributions to our site include:
- Do not upload pictures of people under 25 (including yourself!).
- Do not post sexually suggestive text or pictures.
- Do not promote drinking to excess, smoking, illicit drugs, drink driving, or other irresponsible activities.
You will find that our site is moderated regularly to make sure we are all playing nice! We may remove comments that violate our House Rules. Although we don’t like removing comments, sometimes this is necessary to ensure our site continues to provide a great community for all lovers of thebar.com.
Just a few more rules to remember:
- One of our first lessons in life: treat others how you wish to be treated! Please treat other contributors with respect and consideration. If we feel that comments are derogatory, shocking or insulting we will remove them.
- Mind your tongue (and fingers)! Please don’t use swear words or language that may offend or be considered inappropriate. We may remove such content at our discretion.
- If a person or organisation hasn’t given you express permission to use his, her, or its name, photos, or audio/video content on our site, please don’t post it.
- Please make sure that what you post is factually correct and legally permissible, and isn’t defamatory, threatening, abusive, discriminatory, offensive, an invasion of privacy, or an infringement of any third party’s copyright or other intellectual property rights.
- Do not post any advertising, spam, or links to external sites. This includes comments used in an attempt to direct traffic to other websites, blogs, or Facebook pages. If you do, we will remove these comments.
- Do not post personal information about yourself that should remain private. If you do, we will be required to remove it.
- At this moment we are only monitoring comments written in English. Any comment that isn’t posted in English, or that appears to be written in any sort of code, will be removed as well.
Finally (the last of the legal stuff for now, we promise):
We reserve the right to remove comments at any time for any reason without prior notice. Please note that offenders may be reported and blocked from participating. So be nice!
Diageo is not responsible or liable for any content posted or uploaded to this site by its users, or any content on third party sites.
If you'd like to contact us with a complaint, compliment, provide feedback, or say hello to our brands or products, please don’t hesitate to use to send us an email to thebarglobal at consumer-care.net,
. We’ll work to respond to you as quickly as possible!
Our adverts have changed over the years – some would work now, some wouldn’t. Our advertising is continually evolving to take into account our changing society, advertising rules and our own standards that make us a responsible business so we continue to deliver great campaigns for many years to come.
For more information about responsible drinking, please see www.drinkiq.com.